beSTORM performs comprehensive software security analysis and discovers vulnerabilities during development or during certification.
Black Box Software Testing
beSTORM represents a new approach to security auditing. This new approach is sometimes called "fuzzing" or "fuzz testing" and can be used for securing in-house software applications and devices, as well as testing the applications and devices of external vendors.
Most security holes found today in products and applications are discovered by automated, blackbox software testing. beSTORM tries virtually every attack combination, intelligently starting with the most likely scenarios and detects application anomalies which indicate a successful attack. Thus security holes can be found with little user intervention.
How beSTORM Black Box Security Testing Works
- Innovative beSTORM performs exhaustive analysis to uncover new and unknown vulnerabilities in any software. It's unique and powerful testing algorithm focuses on attacks that are most likely to succeed, thus producing results far faster than simple brute force testing. beSTORM does not need the source code to analyze and uncover vulnerabilities.
- Multi-Protocol All Internet protocols can be tested using beSTORM - even complex protocols such as SIP (used in Voice over IP products) are supported.
- Intelligent Fuzzing Special attack prioritizing algorithms allow beSTORM to start with the attacks most likely to succeed, depending on the specific protocol that is audited. This saves considerable time during the audit process and highlights the most important problems, first.
- Accurate Reporting beSTORM checks the application externally by triggering actual attacks. Vulnerabilities are reported only if an actual attack has been successful, for example if a buffer overflow has been triggered. Simply put, beSTORM emulates an attacker. If the attacker cannot carry out the attack, beSTORM will not report it, effectively reducing the number of false positives.
- Fast and Deep Testing beSTORM is able to convert the protocol standard text to automated set of tests by converting the BNF description used in technical RFC documents to attack language. This ensures that the entire functionality of the system is checked, and enables to quickly find bugs that otherwise surface only months or years after the product is released to the market.
- Comprehensive Analysis beSTORM detects vulnerabilities by attaching to the audited process and detecting even the slightest anomalies. By doing so, beSTORM can find attacks as subtle as 'off-by-one' attacks, as well as buffer overflow attacks that do not crash the application.
- Scalable beSTORM is extremely scalable, with the ability to use multiple processors or multiple machines to parallelize the audit and substantially reduce the testing duration.
- Extensibile beSTORM tests the protocol rather than the product, and therefore can be used to test extremely complicated products with a large code base.
- Flexibile beSTORM's protocol analysis can be easily extended to support your proprietary protocol.
- Language Independent beSTORM tests the binary application, and is therefore completely indifferent to the programming language or system libraries used. beSTORM will report the exact interaction that triggers the vulnerability allowing programmers to debug the application with whatever development environment they wish.
Automated Binary Analysis
beSTORM includes an automated engine that can parse through binary data, decode ASN.1 structures as well as length value pairs:
|beSTORM automatically parses binary data
Automated Textual Analysis
beSTORM includes an automated engine that can parse through textual data, recognize multiple forms of data encoding, as well as decode XML structures:
|beSTORM automatically parses text data
For those protocols that cannot be automatically analyzed beSTORM includes a graphical interface that can be used to easily support your proprietary protocols:
|beSTORM tests proprietary protocols
Advanced Debugging and Stack Tracing
beSTORM includes an advanced debugging and stack tracing engine that can not only discover potential coding issues, but also shows the stack trace that brought you to the specific coding issue:
|beSTORM stack tracing engine
Advantages of beSTORM Blackbox Software Testing
- Integrates with the existing development strategy Search for security vulnerabilities during development or as part of your QA process.
- Source code not necessary No need for source code - perfect for auditing 3rd party applications.
- Reproducible Vulnerabilities are searched for in a methodical way which can be reproduced.
- Powerful substitute beSTORM can be used to substitute existing tools used by security auditors and black-box testers.
beSTORM application diagram
More Information and Free Trial
is an Approved Scanning Vendor for the Payment Card Industry
Web Application Testing:
Discover security issues in web apps, web sites, their related equipment and databases